Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Week of November 13-17 - Music Production

I did miss a portion of class this week, being most of Thursday and all of Friday, both due to jazz, but what I did try to work on this week was music. Music was the main component that convinced to continue on my e-Communication journey, so I look forward to whenever I able to indulge in it. I hope by the end of the school year I can have an EP or album completed, as well as the long-awaited mixtape Senioritis 2.



Usually when I start worked on a song I do not set out with a predetermined goal; instead, I usually experiment with different sounds until I find a direction I want to go with them. This time, however, I knew I wanted a pop-sounding song, and that I would take it as a solo song or give it to someone else as a producer. So far, what I have is sounding more 80s than I expected, but still sounds solid and somewhat modern thanks to Logic drum loops (I will probably reprogram drums soon, but I like to put that off). Both synths besides the bass are presets that I tweaked in a VST called Dexed, which is supposed to replicate the Yamaha DX7, a classic 80s synth. I added some reverb to the lead and to the keys I added warp and wear effects to make it sound more worn out and detuned, as if being played on an old record. Right now there is not much structure as I was mainly ironing out some kinks in the mixing, but it sounds very lively and funky. I am planning to add more depth to the song, possibly by automating some filters, adding more sound effects, and woodshedding the songwriting with more chords, variability, and movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment